Monday, December 03, 2007

Smell Memory

I just had the weirdest thing happen. I have a good nose, I don't smoke and I don't drink coffee everyday so my nose and taste buds are usually very good about picking out scents and flavors. I am kind of like a bloodhound in that way. Anywho.

I just lit a stick of incense that I found laying around my apartment and it was an identical smell to an incense I used to love during the second year I was in college when I shared an apartment with a couple of my friends. Instantly, I was transported back to a string of memories that all had to do with that smell and my room in that apartment. It was so strange, as soon as I got a whiff of it, I was back in the Fall of 2000. Very strange.

This happens to me sometimes but I am always amazed at how vivid the memories are just because of a smell. I keep a mental list of all of the smells that do this:

Berry Body Wash from Bath and Body Works
Old Spice
Bacon and coffee mixed
This incense
Cut Grass
New Car Smell
Apple candles from Eye of the World near the Co-op
Lucky Strike cigarettes
The smell of my grandpa, which smells like Old Spice, sweat, and...my grandpa. I smell it on my pillow sometimes and it is weird.
Pickled Asparagus
Magic card smell
Brush fire smell

3 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the cut grass and the magic card smells. Can't say that I've ever smelled pickled asparagus or your grandpa!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Mogwai said...

Magic cards...man...I don't know why but just thinking about that smell makes me want to be in junior high again. I have never smelled anything exactly like them since other than that music store we went in that one time near Berkley.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Easy T said...

I still get a high off magic card smell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home