Friday, September 21, 2007

Three $%&#'ing Wives?!

While Ben was here, he suggested a take a look at a show called, Big Love. I have been watching it and I have to ask the question, why on God's green earth would you want more than one wife?!

I am not sure how many people know about this television show because pop culture news sometimes doesn't make it across the ocean and I fall out of the loop on some things. For those that have not heard of the show, it is about a polygamist in Utah and his three wives. Speaking from experience, having one wife can be a challenge, I cannot even begin to fathom dealing with three of them. I have watched three episodes now and I can definitely say that I am a one wife guy. There are just too many reasons not to marry three women. Here are some of my top few:

1)Women have a tendency to be to be biddy hens when forced to be in a group of other women. Women are mental ninjas and dealing with one can sometimes be enough to drive you to insanity. Dealing with a clan of mind assassins and not knowing what may be brewing when you walk through your front door, to me, would be almost unimaginable.

2)Many women like to have kids. I like kids too and wouldn't mind having a couple at some point. I would not however, feel like having a couple with each wife and end up with a whole militia of my offspring. There are times when one kid is enough, let along nine or ten.

3)Having a significant other costs money and emotional effort. You need to provide for them, nurture them, and water them daily. It is a good kind of responsibility but not one that I would want to have for three other women. One is good enough for me. I don't even want to think of the money it would cost to support three women and all of theirs' and my kids. In "Big Love", each wife has their own house and all of the houses are connected by the back yards. One house costs enough money, I do not want three.

4)I lucked out with the in-laws that I got the first time around, I know this. But imagine having three wives and then having to deal with in-laws you do not like. Imagine having two sets of in-laws you don't like. Imagine all of the family politics you would have to wade through. No. Not happening.

5)Lastly, imagine having to be a fundamentalist Mormon. Regular Mormons can sometimes be a nuisance, coming to your door at ungodly hours of the day(before 12pm)and asking you if you like God. Nutcase Mormons just make me want to stay in Japan or at least the East Coast of the US.

Notice how I didn't mention the fact that polygamy is illegal. Quite honestly, there are plenty of laws that involve the family that I don't agree with and this is one of them. If a guy wants to have multiple wives and those women are dumb enough to go along with it, let them. For me, polygamy falls into the same realm as gay marriage, what people do in the privacy of their own homes doesn't affect me. All I know, I am definitely a one-woman man.

2 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger H said...

If a guy wants to have more than one partner, more power to him. But if a guy wants to legally bind more than one woman to him, I'm not okay with that. I feel protective of those "dumb" women who may actually not have chosen the lifestyle they are in (although they may fight tooth and nail on that point), but rather they are forced into it and their path is determined since birth. Many girls in polygamist relationships are married before they've even finished junior high. Have you ever read "Under the Banner of Heaven?"

Sounds like an interesting movie, though, we'll need to add it to our Netflix queue.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Mogwai said...

Its actually a TV series, I think they are on the second season now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home