Monday, August 20, 2007

Funny Random Memory

While visiting the sheriff's website, I found the picture of a girl that for some reason triggered a very funny memory that I hadn't thought about in a long time. I figure if I post it on here, I won't forget it now.

When I was nineteen, I was at this party at my friend Jon's apartment. Being like the average get together at Jon's apartment, I was really, really drunk. I was beyond the "Tyson Won't Stop Giggling" phase and into the tried and true, "Prepare To Pass Out On The Comfy Couch" level. Jon had a very comfy couch that was my bed for many a night in my late-teens and early-twenties. It was gray and very cushy. Cheap, yes, but cushy. Anywho, enough of the couch.

So here I am drunk and lolling next to Jon when our friend, Tyson walks through the door. Tyson was a year younger than the rest of us but was basically a fixture at Jon and Kendall's apartment. Tyson was also a ladies man. Notice that I did not use the possessive "lady's" there because Tyson was friendly with multiple/all girls and I can only think of one girl that he ever was very attached to. On this particular evening, Tyson had brought two girls with him. I didn't pay much attention to them because odds were good I would never see either of them after that night...or so I thought. About this time, one of the girls says, "Mr. Chaplin!? Is that you Mr. Chaplin? Are you drunk?"

Then I noticed who this particular girl was. I don't remember her name but I do remember that she had dyed green hair and was in the 11th grade history class that I was student teaching in at the time. I could barely believe what was happening and could only utter in a slurred and drunken drawl, "You! You're not supposed to be here!" It was at this point that everyone else at the party clued in to the fact that she was one of my students and hilarity ensued.

I became kind of worried at this point for a number of reasons and had I been significantly more sober, I probably would have taken off. First, I was nineteen at the time so I was underage and drinking. Second, if I was nineteen and underage, then my 11th grade student was waaayyy underage. Like, into the underage limit that I don't overly approve of drinking, especially since she could also tie me to drinking. Third, I knew that next time I showed up for class, I was screwed. These were high school kids and there was no way I was going to live this down once this got out. After such deep thoughts, I resigned to my fate and grabbed a bottle of something and imbibed.

The rest of the evening is pretty hazy. I think we watched a movie or played some video games but I don't remember a ton else. The only other thing I can remember of that night was Tyson sitting on the couch with a girl on each side of him, making out with both of them at the same time. It was almost like he was eating two ice cream cones, first a taste of the flavor on the right and then a lick off of the left one.

The next day I taught was interesting. Sure enough, it had gotten around that I had been spotted pretty sauced at a party over the weekend and all of my kids were doing their little whisper, look, and laugh thing. During one of the breaks, my supervising teacher walked up to me and asked if what was going around was true. I replied that it was indeed, to which he just laughed and said, "Ahh...college" and walked off.

Looking back, I realize how badly the whole event could have turned out if various people had reacted differently than they did. I was probably lucky and from then on I made certain that none of my students were going to be appearing at any of the parties I was attending. It is funny some of the stupid things you get away with when you are younger.

2 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too much information. Oh,,,.But, funny.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Theodora said...

That's always a funny story!

"Ahhh, college" indeed. :) Thank goodness for laid-back people!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home