Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My Recipe For Love Is...

Two packs of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and scone mix from Merrit's Cafe.

As pretty much everyone knows, I use a train to get to and from work almost everyday and in order to get on the trains I need to go to my town's train station. At my station, there is a girl named Aki who works in the ticket office and her and I talk quite a bit. She is cute, likes to cook, very perky, and pretty good at English; all of these things make her A-okay in my book. Anywho, I met Aki five or six months ago when I lost my cell phone on one of the trains and she helped me find it. Someone had turned it into the office and it was waiting there for me. As it turns out, I was quite lucky to meet Aki that night because she is the only person that works in my train station that knows any English whatsoever and she is actually quite good at speaking English. Ever since then, when I go to catch a train we usually greet each other and talk for a few minutes. Before I went back to the United States, I mentioned to her that I would be leaving for a while and she asked me to bring her back a present. She said she liked peanut butter and I knew that she liked scones so I knew almost immediately what I would be getting for her gift.

Everyone knows I am a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup fiend. When I was little, it was not a holiday until I had puked from eating too many of them. I still love those chocolaty cups of nutty joy but they are not sold in Japan so I am forced to beg for them to be sent to me during holidays and with packages. I figured Aki would like them too so I got her two packs.

In one of our talks, Aki told me that the only reason she ever wanted to learn English was to learn how to make British scones without needing a Japanese translation. She has been studying for five years and as I said, is quite good. We have talked about how American scones are totally different than British ones and she said that she wanted to try them someday so I knew that I would need to make a stop by Merrit's to get some scone mix for her. Merrit's is this little dive of a cafe in Boise that is known for its awesome tasting scones. Actually, all of the food there is quite tasty.

So I got Aki the Reese's and the scone mix and put them in a plastic bag to give to her. This is where I got devious. I decided to include a note in the bag basically telling her that if she needed help with the instructions for the scones to give me a call or text me and then wrote down my information. I also popped a sentence on there that said if she ever felt like going out to lunch or dinner that she could call me for that too.

IT WORKED!!!!

She sent me a message today saying that she was going to be in Osaka for a month (she is training to be a train conductor....hot)but when she came back she would like to go out sometime. I also ran into her last night on my way home and she said I should come down to Osaka and hang out with her. That is when I told her that I didn't have her info and she said she would message me today and she did. So now I have at least one outing with her lined up if not two. I may go into Osaka in a weekend or two and see if she is free.

I always knew there was a reason I like Reese's.

2 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger dustin said...

Way to go Tyson!

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent! Find out what candy bar her dad likes so we can prepare an emergency package.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home