Thursday, May 31, 2007

In Loving Memory of My Shure E4c Earbuds

On Tuesday, I lost a close friend, two if you count the right and left earbuds separately. The left earbud of my Shure E4c noise canceling earbuds died while I was riding on a train. One minute, I was listening to Weezer, the next I was only listening to Weezer in my right ear. I took the left out to see if something was clogging it, nothing, I tried the earbuds in my PSP, still only right audio. My left earbud is dead. I have heard good things about Shure's customer support so I am hoping they can resolve the matter in a timely and cost-effective manner and I don't have to buy new earbuds.

Today, I tried riding the train using my over earphones and I could barely hear my iPod over the noise of the train. Sadly, I can almost tolerate listening to only right audio over listening to stereo sound out of crappy regular ear phones; the E4cs are that damned good. So now I am waiting to hear back from tech support as to how we can fix the problem. I don't want to buy new earbuds but I will if I absolutely need to, the Shures have spoiled me for a year and a half and I am simply not used to hearing all of the background noise that comes with riding on a train. I have to give it to those earbuds, when they say noise canceling, they really mean it. I almost never wear them at night now because when I do, I am totally deaf and in the dark it's kind of dangerous. That is why I bought a $15 pair of earphones that hook on to each of my ears for jogging. They still let me hear music but I hear a bit of the outside world as well. That and wearing noise canceling buds while jogging makes it so you almost can't hear the music because of the vibration coming from your feet hitting the ground and then coming up into your skull; it makes a thudding sound that doesn't go well with music.

Anywho, here's to hoping they can fix them or replace them. The only crappy part now is the fact that I will have to cross the Pacific Ocean with lame earphones instead of my Shures.

4 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woah, at $300 they'd BETTER be able to fix.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger dustin said...

Heh, I just had to replace my headphone cables for my HD 580's. The right ear started getting quiet intermittantly, and I tried yanking the cable out of the right earphone.

The cables are removable, but just barely so, and I found out the hard way, the connections are more secure than the wires. I had to go 3-4 days without my Senne's and I have to say, those were bad days.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Mogwai said...

That is what I was hoping too, Steph, it may sound like a bit of money but the sound is amazing on them and the drown out almost all of the noise from the trains. Those little buggers have kept me sane.

Dustin, I don't think my problem is in the cabling itself. I think it may be a driver in the left earbud. Usually, unless the cable gets totally separated, if you twist the wire just right you should be able to get some feedback of some sort and I am not getting even that, just silence.

Glad to see someone else likes Sennheiser too. Everyone gets all fanatical about Bose but for the money, Sennheiser rocks.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Jacob Whittaker said...

Rest in Peace, little buddies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home