Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Quest For Cheese

Yesterday, Terri and I headed out. We were on a mission...actually...I was on a mission, she just wanted to go to Costco. Either way, I needed cheese, glorious orange cheese.

All in all, the mission was a success and the day went very well. It was sunny and warm and there were no major issues with the trains or buses. We even got to see the lunar eclipse and the moon, also wanting to be like the cheese I craved, was orange too.

Three major things came out of yesterdays quest:

A) I got a nice block of Kirkland Mild Cheddar Cheese. I also got some chocolate muffins and a box of premade Indian meals that are very tasty when put over rice.

B) I found out how crazy cheap it was to travel by bus here. I could go from Osaka to Tokyo and back for under $80. The same trip by shinkansen (bullet train) costs $300.

C) Terri tipped me off to a special promotional train ticket that lets you use regular trains to go anywhere you want for $80. They are good for one week and you get to choose the days it is used. I call it my "JR Ripoff Card" because the JR train company has absolutely no clue how much I am taking them for when using this card. For example, yesterday's trip usually costs me $40 so I paid off half of the ticket right there. I still have four more days to use up on it too.

It was a good day and I was quite happy when I got home.

3 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So those are real US dollar values?

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Mogwai said...

No they aren't. I just do a 100yen/1USD for convenience. So when I say that train ticket cost me $80 it is actually more like $73 or $75. I just do a straight across to eliminate confusion and save me time.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

(Message from your proxy CDN father):

Your unscrupulous methods of thrift are impressive. Keep up the good work!

Ron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home