Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Kiyomizudera and Around Kyoto

Okay, here is the deal. I am feeling lazy and don't want to type out a long post about Terri and I's adventures in Kyoto the other day. But I do want to show some pictures from the expedition so scroll down and enjoy the pics. Also, if you click on them, a larger image will come up.


This is a maiko. She is a geisha in training and you can tell because she is wearing a red collar beneath her kimono. Maiko and Geisha are kind of like the real world equivalent of Pokemon, there are only a few hundred of them throughout Japan so when you spot one, its kind of a big deal. Gotta catch 'em all!















This is the entrance to Kiyomizudera. Kiyomizudera is one of the oldest and most popular of temples in Japan. It has been nominated to be one of the seven wonders of the modern world and is over 300 years old.
















What in the world this guy was doing was beyond Terri and I's collective imaginations so we did what any good tourist would do and took a picture.

















This was me playing photographer. I liked all of the color that this one building had under the afts of the roof. The pic turned out kind of cool.
















The whole Kiyomizudera complex is huge. This shot kind of gives you an idea of what I am talking about. Where I was standing when I took this pic is also within the grounds of the temple. Also, all of the bare trees you see in the pic will be pink by the end of this week. I will take those pics when I go back the first part of next week.















After Kiyomizudera, Terri and I went across town to one of Terri's favorite places in Kyoto. This is from the roof of the Shinsengumi headquarters. The group was formed in the 1860's to act as the secret police to the shogun of time. The group was about 200 men strong at the pinnacle of their existance and recruited only the best swordsmen in Japan. They lived by a strict code and are somewhat of a legend in the Kyoto area. For Star Wars fans, think Japanese Jedi and you have the Shinsengumi.
















This is Nibudera. This temple is right next to the Shinsengumi headquarters. I took this pic just as the sun had started to set behind the gate and I thought the lens flare would look cool.

















Lastly, no Japanese pic post would be complete without a wierd car.















There you have it, the latest Kyoto excursion. More pics to come very soon, cherry blossom season is almost here!

3 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the pictures!

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Mogwai said...

I figured you probably would seeing how you wanted me to post more pics. How is everything going lately?

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger Theodora said...

Shinsengumi HQ? Pure awesomeness! (Perhaps I liked Kenshin a little too much...)

I give you the letter E. Use it wisely, use it well.

Also, I have really been enjoying Gabriel & Dresden lately. I know you're usually happy to find new techno and I really like their stuff. Tracking Treasure Down was on Ministry of Sound's Summer 2006 mix.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home