Thursday, January 04, 2007

Year One

I realized earlier that today marks my being in Japan for exactly one year. If I want to get really technically, I have actually been in Japan for one year and about thirty minutes. :)

It's strange to think that a year ago I stepped off a plane and saw a whole different world and now that strange world has become my home. I have never really been able to look back at a year and say, "I did this and this and this," I mean I've been able to do that in the past but not with as much clarity and detail as I can now. As I type this, I feel as if I have accomplished something right, something that fits with how I want my life to be. At least for this time, this is what I was supposed to do with myself and it feels good to be able to say that.

So what have I accomplished? I know a ton more Japanese now and can speak it alright. I am much more self-reliant than I was when I came and much more confident in myself. I have been to pretty much every place in Japan I have wanted to go with the exception of Hiroshima and Mt. Fuji. Hiroshima is happening in May and Mt. Fuji in July. Everything else is pretty much gravy.

I am looking forward to the new year, though I do not think it will hold the wonder and awe that 2006 did. I am still on an adventure but for now, I can see where the road is taking me for a bit and am just relaxing.

2 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here's to another great year of discovery, Mog!

Fuji, you say...I'd make that jaunt!

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your huge accomplishment and realization of your dreams! Rockin' the boat sometimes has some benefits!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home