Thursday, September 14, 2006

More Wii News

Nintendo released more information about the new Wii console yesterday and while part of it ticks me off, the other part makes me happy so it all evens out.

First, the system will be released in the US two weeks before its released in Japan. Personally, I think thats a crock but what do you do? At least when it comes out here, all of the internet functions will be enabled while the US release will have almost no internet functionality on day one.

Second, this is the part that makes me very happy, the Wii will be region free. For the non-gamers out there that means I can buy games from the US and Japan and both will be able to play on my machine without me installing a mod chip. I think this will also hold true with Gamecube games as well.

Other news that came out was that the system will have an SD card slot for storage which means that I will probably pick up a cheap two or four gig SD card for the system. I am really excited for the Wii to come out now, I wish I just didn't have to wait to get it. I think it will be a truly new gaming experience and I am all for it.

5 Comments:

At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice. The more I hear about it, the more I like the sound of it.

I am writing you a big long entry in my journal, mostly because I want to keep it for posterity and I never really remember to save comments I leave here. Suffice it to say that though I have not been to Merritts in your honor lately, we are thinking of you here.

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big gamer but anything region free sounds good! Especially if its official.

I'm planning winter break for my family to come visit, do you know when the holiday starts this year?

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Jacob Whittaker said...

The Wii is the first video game system I have looked forward to in a few years. The 360 still hasn't won my soul, I still have no freakin' clue what the Playstation 3 will be other than expensive.

The Wii looks fun. Not "Ooh, I hope it gets some great games so it'll be cool," but actually like any of the games might be fun.

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are very few good games for the 360 that aren't PC ports. In fact Dead Rising is the only one I can think of.

Nintendo has really been impressing me lately with their devotion to creative, innovative ideas and non-standard games. If only they had Guitar Hero...

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger Mogwai said...

Yeah, I am with ya, Jake, I am looking forward to the Wii much more than I have looked forward to a gaming system in a long time. I think my anticipation is about where it was with the Super Nintendo when I was 10.

The Xbox 360 has a couple of promising titles but I am still not sold on it enought to buy one and probably won't be til I can mod it like my old Xbox. Maybe Halo 3 will change my mind. I have been really itching to deathmatch people and that is why the Xbox has been mildly tempting me for a few weeks now. Dead Rising looks fun but I have been playing the demo for a game called Lost Planet that is pretty cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home