Sunday, August 13, 2006

Video Games That Need To Be Made

Lately, I have been in a gaming slump. I really don't feel like playing any of the games I have and there aren't many games out there that I want to get. If I knew how to program, I would start making my own games but I have no clue where to start with that. I think I would make a better designer/writer rather than a programmer when it comes to games.

Here is a short list of games that I would like to see made. If you know of any games that you think I may like, feel free to suggest something.

1) A FPS/Survival game based on the book/movie/manga of Battle Royale. I already know what I want in the game but I do not think any gaming studio could pull this title off unless it was Rockstar. They are about the only game studio that I believe has the ambition and creativity to make this game good. If you are not sure what Battle Royale is, get on Amazon and buy the book; its one of the most fun reading experiences you will have. Keep in mind that I am suggesting the book be turned into a shooting/survival game, if that doesn't sound like your kind of book, you may want to look at other titles.

2) A good Zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I am not talking about a text based game with a couple of illustrations here and there, I want a full on AAA scale title. I want it to be bloody and cool and I want to be able to choose a scavenger as my profession. I want an environment in which I can use pretty much anything as a weapon and I want the whole game to be PvP. You can't have a good zombie game without everyone worrying about all of the other humans that are still kicking around and killing zombies too. If any game creators want inspiration for this title please read the Walking Dead comic books series and watch the original Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead. Watch Shawn of the Dead too, just because it’s a good movie.

3) Along the same lines as suggestion two, I want a good post apocalypse MMORPG. I am thinking along the lines of Fallout 2. Not much else to be said about this other than if I had the money to finance one game, I would pick the zombie survival MMORPG over this one. The only franchise that I think had the possibility do pull this off was the cyberpunk setting of Shadowrun. It wasn't really post-apocalyptic but it was fun, more fun than scavenging for berries in a weed infested mall that used be be in the suburbs of Chicago before it was nuked. Now that Microsoft has raped that franchise and is placing its bruised corpse on the XBox 360, my dreams of a good Shadowrun video game are pretty much gone. Here's to the Genesis port of Shadowrun.

4) SimCity 5, nuff' said.

5) I would also like a game that is an MMORPG set in 1890-1900 New York City. I think it would be doable to make the game to scale with a full New York of the time period and people could choose any profession they wished. I want this game to be able to educational as well as fun. I want people to be able to eat lunch at Delmonico's and rub noses with the elite of America from that time period with one character, while being able to either help dig the Brooklyn Bridge or mug theater goers with another. I want the full turn of the century New York experience. Slums, snobs, serial killers, and just you average working class guy. This is the historian in me wanting a game to replace the Oregon Trail series in the classroom. I figured if the game was ever designed, you censor it and give it to educational facilities for free and then when the kids see how cool it can be, they go home and pay the monthly fee to be able to do all of the stuff in the game that they can't do in school. Educational with the potential to be an extremely violent game, that is what I'm talking about.

6) I would like to see a new remake of the old SNES game, Zombies Ate My Neighbors. That was a quality game that did not get the attention it deserved. Yes, I have a thing for zombie games but this was a really cool and creative title. I still play it on emulators from time to time.

7) Lastly, I want a game that is an MMORPG that just simulates the real world. I want to be able to make a character and just go work some lame office job or be a policeman. I am not sure why I find this game so appealing but I do. One friend brought up the point, who would want to pay a montly fee to simulate something he does in the real world, especially if the job sucks? I am not sure but for one reason or another, I am intrigued by it. I want this game to be able to simulate all consequences for my actions and if need be, I want to be able to rot in a jail cell for a time if I break the law in the game. I really like simulations and this would kind of be the king of them.

Okay, that’s my list. I admit, I have odd tastes in video games. I think more than that is the fact that I am not really pleased by any of the MMORPGs out there right now and I know they can do better. World of Warcraft is pretty much Diablo or any other fantasy game. The only difference is in WoW you can talk to Asian players that mine in-game gold for a living in the real world. Everquest is pretty much dead or dying. City of Heroes was fun for a while but it was too basic and got repetitive. If there was a game that convinced me that being a superhero would suck, it was CoH. Guild Wars is a pretty version of Diablo with a beefier chat client. I hate Diablo. Diablo makes me want to punch babies and I am pretty sure it was mentioned in the Bible that baby Jesus cried after he saw Diablo. Man, I hate that game. Go in a dungeon, kill stuff, go out of the dungeon and sell your loot to get better weapons and armor, go back in a dungeon and kill stuff. When I want a game that really only gives me three choices for something to do, I will play Pac Man, it gives me four choices: up, down, right, and left.

So there you have it, my list of games and a rant about Diablo that I threw in for color. If anyone feels like making any of these games and want to hire me as a designer or writer, let me know. Hey, if you just want to make those games and not pay, I will help out for free. Later.

2 Comments:

At 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dead rising is set in mall filled with zombies. I saw a trailer and thought it gave me what I want in that type of game. Strangely enough, I've never played any Evil Dead games.

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Dead Rising. I hear very good things about it (and I even have the t-shirt!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home