Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Third Mario Brother

So I am teaching class today and one of my older students walks in, a big grin firmly implanted on his chubby face. He then leaps into the air, his fist above his head, and one knee thrust up to his waist, just like Mario does when he gets an item. Normally, I would have looked at him and just shaken my head but then I heard a sound. This was not a random sound, rather it was the sound that occurs when Mario picks up an item.

I laughed.

For the next five minutes, this kid jumped around the room like Mario with the accompanying sound effects. It was easily the hardest one of my students has ever made me laugh. He also had the sound effect for when Mario collects a coin, the Japanese have a phrase for this action, "coin get". The sound effects were each stored in their own little plastic case and went off when a large button on the side of the casing was pressed. The way Koname was setting them off was he had positioned them in his pocket so when his knee went up, the button was pressed. This kid normally drives me nuts but today he redeemed himself.

Koname, my pudgy, thirteen year old student is indeed, the third Mario Brother. I will call him Sorrio.

2 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger H said...

That is hilarious.

It reminds me of a video I saw a few months ago...

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger H said...

The html didn't work. Try this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2139555376132383479

 

Post a Comment

<< Home