Thursday, July 13, 2006

My Inner Nerd Screams In Frustration

Geography quiz time. Where in the world is the Nintendo World Store? Where is the Nintendo World Headquarters?

I will answer the last question first, the Nintendo HQ is in Kyoto, Japan. Its about two hours away from my house and lies in the southern section of the city. I know this because I think I just found the address for it. I am going to make a pilgrimage there as soon as I get a free day.

Ok, now since the Nintendo HQ is in Kyoto and Nintendo has been a fixture there for 117 years, one would think that the Nintendo World store would be in Kyoto. If not Kyoto, then at least somewhere, anywhere, in Japan. Wrong. The Nintendo World Store is in the Rockefeller Center in New York City. I want to punch someone. Why am I angry, its simple.

When the Nintendo Wii comes out here on October 30th, which is the date that is circulating in these parts, I was hoping to be at the Nintendo World store, partying with a bunch of my Japanese otaku compatriots. I was even going to try to get the day off of work. Now, I will simply go to my gaming store here in town and pre-order the system and pick it up without any cool fanfare. Meanwhile, all of the tools in New York are going to be lined up for blocks, partying, dressing up, and basically being nerds, while I sit two hours away from the company HQ of Nintendo and don't get any cool party whatsoever. The upshot, I will have my Wii weeks before any of them. That is unless Nintendo decides to pull a worldwide release and screws me out of a couple weeks of nerdy smugness that I would get while lording the wonders of the new gaming system over all of my Western friends. If they do that, I will cry and I do not want to cry.

All I want to know is what makes New Yorkers so special that a Japanese company will cater to them without even doing so for their own people...and me? I am hoping that there will be some kind of event here and if there is, I am going to it. I do not care what city its in, I will be there, gleefully collecting all of the kitschy freebies I can get my hands on. I am a video game nerd living in Japan, dammit, I want some perks.

2 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i feel for you dear....i do. :)

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Jacob Whittaker said...

Tyson, I need your inner nerd to help us out here in Afghanistan!

We have been trading around emulators/roms, and someone had this awesome Japanese board game for the NES entitled "1999." It seems to be a very Yamato version of the board game Life, only instead trying to find eternal happiness, you try to survive the Apocalyse. Only problem is, it is in Japanese. And while the art on the cards and such is nice, we don't know what they say.

If you brought your emulator collection with you, please help us by translating the cards/text. Fiery car crash art is cool, but what does it mean?!?

I, too, am looking forward to the Wii, which is the first time I can say that about a Nintendo system in a very long time. I doubt there will be any release parties here, though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home