Friday, June 02, 2006

Another Quake

I just felt another earthquake! This one lasted longer than the previous one and had about the same intesity of shaking as the last one. The wesite hasn't updated yet which I find kind of odd, but this was for sure another small quake. It is almost 1am and the trains don't run this late so it had to have been one.

Ahh, the website just updated. It was a 4 magnitude quake in the prefecture next door to mine. The highest intensity felt in a city was a 3 magnitude in the city of Fukui. I was in Fukui about a month ago and its not that far away from me, maybe three hours. It looks like my area was hit with between a 1 and a 2 magnitude quake. As I said, this one lasted longer than the last one I felt so I think this was a tad stronger than the previous one.

Earlier today, the area just outside of Tokyo had a magnitude 4 quake as well. The strongest felt in a city was a 3 magnitude there. Fortunately, no tokai earthquake warnings have been issued so it wasn't anything to get too worked up about.

Anywho, I think I am going to head to bed, just thought I should post something about the rumblings.

4 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

woh, ( i tried posting earlier today, but i was having issues) so... 4's the biggest there? or just where you are in particular.

i'm from los angeles, so i'm not in anyway new to quakes. we just roll with them here.

but your in a city aren't you? is your building earthquake safe... or...wait, i don't know if there's a special word for it... peh! i'm doing too many things at once! do you have msn messenger. we could chat one day. :)

anyway, great post! and be safe!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Mogwai said...

No, 7 is the biggest quake so 4s are just in between. Most of the time, the quakes occur in the ocean and Japan just feels the tremors from them.

Earthquakes are extremely common here and during my training, they actually said that if an earthquake happened while I was teaching, not to be too worried unless the kids were worried.

I am from Idaho originally and we don't get many quakes, so this is kind of new for me. :)

All buildings in Japan and earthquake safe for the most part. Japan has a really cool architectural design for earthquake proofing buildings based on the movement of bamboo trees. The buildings are designed to sway something like 10-15 degrees in any direction before something really bad happens. I can't remember the numbers exactly, but most buildings are safe.

The one exception to this is what the call a Tokai Earthquake. Tokai means "great" ...I will leave the rest for you to figure out. :) Tokai earthquakes are rare but when they happen they are at least a 6 magnitude.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh yeah, tokai...very badu. lol the building i work in is on rollers, but i'm on the 24th floor so i don't exactly feel safe. actually sometimes just really strong winds will make the building sway. it causes me to throw up due to motion sickness... funny thing is...i don't have motion sickness. strange stuff.

well, hopefully you guys don't have a giant earthquake for a while. personally i'm expecting one here this year. a pretty good one. LOL what a place to go after idaho!

keep in mind, they're really not that much to worry about especially in japan...unless things start coming down around your. then your in trouble. STOP, DROP & COVER. (does that still work? lol)

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home