Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Sorting It All Out

As I sit here on my comfy couch, I have my notebook on my lap and another desktop sitting on the coffee table in front of me. It is busily formatting a 400gig hard drive. Phyrry decided that she needed a new hdd for her new system she is building and this 400gigger is the data drive for that system. Why do I have it, you ask? Because Phyrry goes on her big trip tomorrow so Demonator and I are going to use this newfound disk space to do some much needed organizing.

As I have alluded to before, I have more than my fair share of files. I have four external drives that total over a terabyte and I have my 100gig laptop drive on top of all that. The problem is, I have mp3s spread over three drives, comics spread over at least two drives, books and music videos on at least two drives, etc etc. You get the picture. I am not going to tolerate this disorganization any longer. Starting as soon as the drive formats, I am dumping all of my comic book collection onto it and I am sorting it. This will free up somewhere in the neighborhood of 5gigs of space. After the comics comes my other books, documents, and pics. Everytime I format my drives, I make a folder for the old docs. Over the years, I have made a dozen or so folders. They will all be one in a day or two. Lastly, I am going to try to sort out my mp3s. I shudder just thinking about this. If my guesses are even in the ballpark, when it is all finished, that 400gig drive will be full of music. Hopefully, I can sort out some duplicates and do some serious renaming and retagging. I expect this to take up the majority of my time. But when it is done, it will rock and someone will have a complete backup of all of my music.

I am also going to start scanning and making pdfs out of all of my cookbooks. Those who know me, know I like to cook. I have a respectable collection of cookbooks because of this. Since I am not going to pack a hundred or so cookbooks into a suitcase, I will scan them all and put them on a hard drive. Much more space freed up this way.

While I think this will be a daunting task, it will be worth it in the end and much easier to sort through all of my stuff. When I am done, I will post a breakdown of how many of each filetype I have. It should be interesting to break it down that way.

4 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, you can't avoid Japan by spending the next 8 months sorting out mp3's right?
Did you get my e-mail yesterday? Some other non-work related stuff didn't get through to other people so just checking.
Steph

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you have backups for all data?

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Mogwai said...

Yeah, I got your letter yesterday. It was good to hear from you again. As for the backing up, we are working on it. When I leave at least 80% of all my stuff will be on other peoples' drives or on DVD. All will be well.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Jacob Whittaker said...

A four hundred gig music drive, eh? I think I may need to barrow that while I am back. I'm going to be buying an external hard drive, methinks, during my quick visit to Boise.

I get in Monday night, I'll give you a call once I'm in town.

Any big NYE plans? We should probably do something since it'll be the last NYE we're both in Boise for a while, if ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home