Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Zen of Quitting

An update on the state of my job at Costco. Basically, any care, concern, feelings, work ethic, anything that had to do with my job, is gone now. All that is left is me counting the days until I quit, 23, and doing whatever I want while being at work. Today for example, we got those retro arcade cabinets in and I played MERCS, while on the clock, and worried not even the slightest about retribution from mangement.

A "member" called me on the phone today and got snippy with me so I told him I needed to put him on hold to check something for him and then hung up on him. I did not feel like getting belittled by some no-life hack that just wanted to make himself feel better by getting cocky with me. I think he is the third member this week I have hung up on. Childish, yes. But it feels so damned good.

I no longer park in the employee designated parking spots. There are two reasons for this: A) It is getting close to Christmas, which means that parking is hard enough to come by without worrying where I am and am not supposed to park. B) I just don't give a damn.

I no longer tuck my shirt in. I have never liked this rule because many of my shirts are not supposed to be tucked in and they look dumb that way. I am not a style god to begin with and after the tucking in of my shirts, I become even less of one. That and I just don't give a damn. A manager actually tried to make this an issue the other day. He told me that they could terminate me for not following dresscode. I just said "ok" and walked away. I think he was kidding but then again, I really don't care. Nothing has or will happen to me.

I leave early almost every night and take extra long breaks and lunches. The night people in my department are supposed to stock the shelves now. Without a forklift driver there to drop stuff for us, there is nothing to stock. Then why should we stay late? Answer, we shouldn't; its a waste of payroll and our time. As for the breaks and lunches, this is something that most people in my department do. We are not supervised and none of us care if our fellow worker gets a little bit longer break. As long as my peers are cool with it and they get their extra breaks too, I am fine with it.

When you get down to brass tacks, it really all comes down to the fact that I just don't care what happens at my job anymore. I am not bothering anyone else and my quality of work doesn't suffer, take from that what you will. I need to quit jobs more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home