Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Things That Will Be Missed

As Japan looms ever closer, thought of things that I will miss have began creeping into my mind. Sure, there are the usual things that will be missed like friends and family but the stuff I am talking about is much more mundane.

I was walking outside the other day and I could smell a fireplace burning. There is something about Boise in the winter that I love and the smell of burning wood is one of them. Of course, with that smell comes the dreaded inversion but that doesn't bother me so much.

Food is also one of those things that I have been thinking about. There are so many eateries around town that I enjoy frequenting and have fond memories of. I will miss the following restaurants:

Twin Dragon: TPLConjecture's family owns this place and I have eaten then more often than I can count. The fried rice kicks ass and the people are friendly. For one reason or another, the water there is also very cold and more refreshing than otehr waters. Maybe I am just weird.

Din Fung: This place is my favorite Chinese buffet. Nuff' said, it will be missed.

Bittercreek Alehouse: Most of my other friends tend to think the place is for yuppies but I like it there. The food is really good and their Lemon Drop martini can't be beat.

Lastly, Cottonwood. Again, my friends also think this is a yuppy establishment and I have to agree with them there. When I NEED a New York Strip this is the place I go. It is also a place a take women to in an effort to impress them on a more shallow note. :) Nonetheless, the food is damned good.

One of the more obscure things that I am pretty sure will be absent from my new life will be vanity plates on cars. I love reading vanity plates, some are clever, others stupid but I have never seen a picture of a car in Japan having them. It will be odd not to see the occasional car with one.

Anywho, as I notice things I will probably post them on here. These are just some of the items that have struck me over the past day or two. I am also starting to compile a list of things that I want to do one more time before I leave for a bit. As I have said before, I am not planning on permanently coming back to Boise so some of the things on the list I may end up doing for the last time ever. More on the list later however because it is in its infancy and will be weeded out over the coming weeks and month or so.

1 Comments:

At 1:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll talk to my dad and see what I can do about the fried rice...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home