Sunday, April 17, 2005

Worship the Hard Drive

My computer is very fast and big. With the speed also comes the bane of any power user, heat. One of the ways I deal with the heat the my computer vents into the environment is by only having one hard drive in the system. The main drive is a 74gig Western Digital Raptor that I love very much but it is not much for storage so I have two other drives in external enclosures.

The cool part about having external drives is that you can unplug them and take them with you whenever they are deemed useful. My drive that the vast majority of my mp3s are on was not being used so I thought it would be fun to take it to work to let some people in the photo lab play with throughout the day. I have always told them I have a crazy amount of music but today they learned the true extent of my words.

It was kind of funny to watch because from the time I arrived at work to the time I left, no one in the photo lab got anything significant done as far as I could tell. They were busy sifting through the volumes of music, some of it good, some of it bad, and stood in awe of the amount of it to be had. I had one guy come up to me and tell me that it was "amazing". I guess I take my files for granted and today it hit me hard that it was not normal to have almost 700gigs of stuff lying around. Not all of that is music mind you, but I do have a lot of stuff. It was funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home