Friday, April 29, 2005

Looking at My Options

I have been thinking a lot about the options that I have open to me at this point in my life. I have been feeling trapped as of late due to this thinking but I may have come to a resolution.

The way I figure it, I have three or four choices open to me. The first, I buy a house as soon as I can afford to. The upside to this is that I would have a house. The downside, I would be trapped in my current job for the foreseeable future. Not cool.
My second option, is to move to another state and find a job, possibly teaching. The downside to this, is that I would not get a house but more likely an apartment. The upside is that I get out of Idaho and get a new job. The third option for me would be to go back to school and start on my Masters. I do want to do this someday, but I would have to keep my job, not get a house, and stay in Idaho for the next few years.

As it stands, I am leaning toward option two. I want to move I think and I want to teach. Teaching is something that I enjoyed doing everyday that I did it and I think it would stay that way. I just don't want to do it in Idaho. The pay sucks and I would either have to stay living where I am at now or get a second job. It is not that I do not like living with Demonator, I just want my own place. As for the second job thing, I want a career that I can support myself on, not one where I have to work twice as hard. I can understand getting a summer job while teaching, but having to work while I am teaching during the school year sucks and I will not do it. Therefore, I will need to get out of Idaho. I like Idaho with a few exceptions, what they pay teachers is one of them. If I taught full time, I could not support myself. Teaching will also facilitate me getting my Masters degree and that is also good.

The next step, is to figure out where I want to teach. Mr. Blue in San Jose suggested that I look there for a teaching job and I may do that. I think I will also look at the Seattle area and maybe Chicago too. All three of those are places that I could live and enjoy it. I need to look at the education certification requirements for those three states and see what I need to do to apply. I may also go back and get the last class I need for my general social studies certificate too. This changing of gears is going to take some time but I think this is at least a step in the right direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home