Friday, January 28, 2005

The Things That Matter Most

I have started to play Sims 2 again. I love the Sims but what strikes me as somewhat fascinating is the fact that the game is based for the most part on materialism. Yes, you can get married and have kids but the main part of the game is acquiring stuff and making bigger houses. There is no religion, no companionship (though Sims 2 tries harder at this), and though you have lifelong goals, the most fun part of the game is getting new crap and building bigger crap. So this got me to thinking, out of all of my material possessions, which ones do I cherish the most? For no really good reason, here are my top ten most loved material possessions. The order is irrelevent as long as I have them around me somewhere. BTW my Gameboy Advance SP floats in and out of this list as well....just not tonight:

10. My Coca-Cola lighter from the 1950s. It was my grandma's and it looks like a
little Coke bottle. It has never worked but I have always kept it around.

9. My Garmin Gecko 210 GPS. It is little, connects to my laptop and is waterproof.

8. My trenchcoat. Everyone needs a nice, warm, dread inspiring, black trenchcoat.

7. My grey hoody sweatshirt. I have always liked non-descript grey hoodies.

6. The homemade pen and pencil holder that Mushi made for me out of a soup can and
stickers. It was one of the first things she ever gave me and I have never gotten
rid of it. It has stickers of Gizmo from the Gremlins movies and other stuff on
it. Very cool.

5. My Samsung cell phone. Everyone needs a good phone.

4. My ten gig, second generation iPod.

3. My computers. Nuff said.

2. My brown sketchers shoes. I have wide, hobbit-like feet and these are the only
shoes I have ever found that have fit me very comfortably and lasted more then
five months. The pair I have now, have been around for the better part of four
years and look it. The soles are cracking and the leather is starting to fall
apart but they have been great shoes. I am going to have to retire them soon in
search for newer shoes. They will be missed. Best part, I paid $25 for them at
Costco.

1. I carry a Commodore 64 "restore" key in my car. I have had it since high school
and it has always managed to stick around. It is in my car right now.

1 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger Mogwai said...

Hey, no biggie! Just figure out a time when it would be cool for me to come down and I will be there. I have a pretty open schedule.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home