Friday, October 01, 2004

A Time for Change

I know I haven't posted in a couple of days, my bad. I really just haven't felt like it. I am not saying that I am going to ditch my blog, quite the opposite. I love my blog and as far as I am concerned, it will be around for a long time to come. So whayt has happened in the past couple of days?

For starters, I kind of had a break down last night after I got in bed. All of the crap with my job and my lack of finding a job I am happy in, just kind of welled up. As a result of this, I am reasonably sure that I will not be employed at my current job for very much longer. I am saying this with some finality. I am at the point now where I am willing to take a pretty good pay cut to be happier in my life. The loss prevention job I applied for has turned out to be a seasonal only kind of thing and that sucks. All in all, this whole shift of thought...or culmination of thoughts could not have come at a better time. I get my bonus tommorow...err...today....and so I will not have another one of those coming up for six months. I need to make a change...take a jump...and now is as good of time as any. If I can work it right I may be able ot leave the current job as soon as the end of the month....we shall see.

There are some prospects for getting a job at Hewlett Packard that I am hopeful about. One job would be a call center job that I would be grossly over-qualified for and it would pay about 60% of what I make now. The upside to that, is that once I am A+ Certified I could move to a call center that pays more. The other opportunity which is probably a long shot so I am not holding my breath, would be a data entry position that would pay close to $40,000 a year. I am not so hopeful about this aspect but I may have a shot at it.

It is funny to see my transition through jobs. I have only had two since I was sixteen. I worked at Fred Meyer for a little more than two years and I have worked at my current job for almost 6.5 years. I thought my next job would be a teaching job. It is funny how stuff plays out...now I am not even sure if I want to teach. I had a good friend point out to me what he saw as my passions in life. One was a passion for gaming...obviously the job market there isn't that great. The other was for computers in general. I must say that the more I think about this the more he is right. I do love working on computers. I guess I have always just sidelined that field of work as a hobby rather than a profession but the more I think about it the better I feel that the IT industry would probably be a good choice for me to work in. Now I just need to spend some time getting certified and what not.

I have a wierd feeling that since yesterday my life has somehow taken a turn. Maybe I have come to a realization...maybe I am just worried about stuff. I don't like changing jobs and that may be the source of some of the anxiety that I am feeling but regardless, something is different. I am not sure that this something is a good different or a bad different but at this point in time it is a change regardless and that IS good. I think that if I follow through with all of this like I intend to, I am going to break out of the rut I have been in and that makes me excited. For the first time in a while, I have started seriously thinking about the future and have not dreaded it. The next few months will be very interesting I think, perhaps more so than any other time in my life. For the first time in a long time, I do not know what is going to happen to me and I am eager to see how this all unfolds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home