Friday, October 08, 2004

The Holidays Have Begun....ARGH!!!

Every year something happens that to me, rings in the holiday season with all of its joy and giving and assholes that fill the stores and bother me. The thing happened last night, the United Way employee meeting.

Every year a couple of volunteers from the United Way charity organization come and try to convince everybody to donate a little out of each of their paychecks to them. I cannot stand these speeches. Usually, I hide in or sneak out of the building on the nights that I know these meetings are going to take place but last night I was trapped and had to sit through it. Beh.

The highlight of the evening for me was the lady that got up and talked about how her most memorable Christmas was the one in which two men came to her family's apartment door and donated a Christmas dinner to them. It was touching....really. The thing I don't tolerate very well is the pressure they put on you to donate...which I never do. If the United Way can't back Planned Parenthood, I am not backing the United Way. That and I am a stingy bastard when it comes to this sort of thing. :) Anywho, since I didn't donate, I full well expect to be approached by my boss in one ditch attempt to get me to sign up to which, I will turn him down as well and deny my department the chance at a prize or something. Most people in my department don't donate so I don't feel too bad about that.

Bottom Line: The holidays have begun so be merry and joyous and blow money on people some of which you don't like but you buy them a gift every year anyway because you don't have the spine to tell them that they suck. Merry Christmas! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home