Friday, September 10, 2004

The Ability to Cry

For as long as I can remember, I have been able to cry at the drop of a hat. And I am not talking about the oligatory crying at funerals and weddings, I am talking about crying at stupid stuff. For example, the Olympics, there were a couple times when people won that I had to hold back tears. When Lance Armstrong won the last Tour de France, the end of the movie "Big Fish", various television commercials, when my little brother used to play high school basketball and he made a good play or his team won are all examples of times when I have cried or had tears well up in my eyes.

The ability to cry in people is something that has always amazed me. My mom cries at the slightest emotional tinge. I have only ever seen my dad cry once and that was when my grandpa died. Mushi very seldom cries and I don't know if I have ever seen my brother cry in his teenage and adult life. Yet, it seems like there are days when I can't stop. Maybe my wiring is messed up or maybe I am just a very emotional person...dunno. It just seems that whenever I get emotional be it happy or said, the first thing my body does is shed tears.

The only reason I am writing about this is because I just finished watching "Big Fish" and I cried again at the ending. The people that say boys shouldn't cry would hate me, but then again, I think they are full of crap. Neither men nor women should have to hold back or alter their emotions just because society says so. Societal beliefs are a joke when speaking about norms for the two sexes. Be they men or women, there is no reason they should have to act according to some psychologist's views of gender roles. The downside, is that during this day and age, if a young boy or girl does act outside of the norm, they are ostricized by their peers and this sends that individual further from society. Yet another reason people are more like cattle than humans, if you don't fit in you are left on the outside of the herd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home