Thursday, July 15, 2004

A Night at the Movies

But first.....today was a good day. I had an interview with the Boise School District this morning and I think that went very well. Basically, when applying to be a history teacher they make you jump through a bunch of hoops. You have to have three letters of recommendation by people who have seen you teach, you must pass a background check, and then there is that little thing about having a degree and being certified....minor details and what not. Then once you have all of this stuff and a sheet that shows what you scored on the state tech exams (got a 93% in 20 minutes) and the state history and writing tests you are finally allowed a screening interview. That is what I had this morning. The guy that gives the interview is the head of the entire social studies department for the school district. Think of him as the head history teacher, the yoda of history teachers if you will. So I went to Dagobah....err....the district office this morning and meant with him. We talked for about 40 minutes and I think it went very well.

Here is the downside. Even if I aced my interview with him, which I think I did, it is like scoring a 50% on a test. Now the district must get an opening and I must be placed on the manifest for that opening. Then, the principal of the school conducts interviews with the people whose names were on that manifest. Finally, the principal makes a choice and hopefully I will be the one he/she chooses. It is a long and drawn out process and I am probably about half way to my goal of being a teacher. But I am glad this step is over, now I play the waiting game and hopefully I will get an interview in for the Fall semester, which is rare. More than likely if I get hired, it will be in the Spring.

Now to a totally different subject. I just got back from seeing Spiderman 2 and I must say, it rocked. I was probably one of the better movies I have seen in the past handful of months. The movie had everything; a very well done film. Good job Sam Raimi. Now all of the big named studios need to realize that George Romero needs his shot and let him make the fourth Living Dead film. With the couple of B-Movie directors that are cashing in, George needs to get on that bandwagon. Anywho, Spiderman 2 was a tight movie and well worth the cost of your firstborn to go see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home