Saturday, June 12, 2004

A Night at the Movies

I have just returned from The Chronicles of Riddick and I wish I could say that it was one of the better movies I have seen in a while. Unfortunately, this is not the case. The movie tries to be six plots at the same time and really doesn't pull off any of them. I was glad that I saw it for free (God bless movies passes) and the upside is, I got to see my buddy Jake tonight.

Jake is hands down one of my best friends. I have known him since the sixth grade and can safely say he is as close to being a brother to me as possible without being related. Anywho, I was walking to a sports bar near the ungodly expensive theater to deliver a wedding invitation to a girl that works there and Jake just happens to come walking up next to me. This was odd because he is in the National Guard and he is supposed to be doing his two week training stint right now. They gave him the night off so he and some of his military buddies decided to hit a movie and invited me to come along. I obliged seeing that I did not have a whole lot going on. My fiance, Becca is going to school to become a nurse and works nights on the weekend at one of the local hospitals. This leaves me with a very open-ended weekend schedule.

Back to The Chronicles of Riddick. The movie was a good action movie and was entertaining at that base level. But then the writers decided to try to weave a plot and threw in a weird love story, a very Roman-esque empire filled with a bunch of people in what looked to be Skeletor outfits left over from He-Man, and of course a man who finds himself in the shoes of the one that must topple this regime. It was a pretty canned movie, no real innovation to speak of, and some very odd CG touches that hindered several scenes in the movie. If you want to see a prime example of blatant over use of CG and digital editting techniques go see The Chronicles of Riddick. If you think the story sounds good and feel like watching a movie, dust off your Star Wars tapes. We will not have to wait much longer to own that trilogy on DVD thankfully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home