Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Danger Will Robinson!!! Danger!!!

Today was supposed to be a joyous day, my two Western Digital 250 giggers arrived today. I needed these two hd's for two reasons, one, two replace two of my aging 120 gig drive, and two, I can always use the extra space. So I put one of the hds in and it began formatting like a good hd. With much satisfaction I took a shower, knowing that soon I would have a lot of extra space to fill with digital goodness. My shower was good and it unclogged my sinuses for a little bit. I jumped out of the shower and went to check up on the status of the formatting job. This is when everthing went down the drain.

I enter my room to find the computer turned off...strange...very strange indeed. There was no way the formatting had finished so this was troubling. I hit the power button to no avail. After a couple more tries, I checked my connections, everything was plugged in, things were going from bad to worse.

I felt by my power supply and things were much, much warmer than they should have been. I then unplugged my power cord from the surge protector and put it directly into the wall, the computer booted. Victim #1: The surge protector.

The computer booted up and this made me happy but the happiness was soon erased by a very courteous message that said, "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows has failed to load." Well at least my computer had the decency to tell me I was getting fucked politely.

From there I went into the bios and loaded all of the fail-safe options. The computer safely failed from here on out. It then proceeded to boot into the Windows boot error prompt in which I tried to get into safe mode but crashed the system instead. I then tried to get into the bios and the system would crash while trying to load the bios. What does this all mean, my system is FUBAR at the moment and I must go looking for survivors. Oh yeah, now everytime I press the power button it makes a nice increasingly load electrical buzzing noise that builds up until the system powers off. Meaning....Victim #2: My power supply.

The bottom line is that the power supply became overloaded by the stress of having so much stuff running on it. I knew I was getting close to capacity but I did not think I was THAT close. It was a 430 watt and I had 4 hds running on it, along with the rest of the usual computing devices.

Now I must go look for survivors of the great surge. I am hoping that my hds lived and did not become fodder for the Electrical God's consumption. I will update as survivors are rescued....more news at ten.

2 Comments:

At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty damn scary.

Know what else is scary? Being awakened by a loud grinding noise coming from a hard drive. This has happened to me. Twice.

- HungSquirrel

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Mogwai said...

So far I have had good luck with my harddrives. (Knock on wood.) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home